Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Amanda

Amanda turned 19 this week. I couldn't help but think back over how much life has changed these past 19 years. Especially since I am now in touch with so many people from way back when Mandy was born. That sounds like it should lead into some sort of story about what our life was like but I am not sure I have one.


"I feel like I am the same me as I was when I was nine years old" -Barbara Kingsolver from the book Pigs in Heaven


I recently read this while reading our current book club selection and it struck me. I mean I feel like my life today is so different than the life I had when Amanda was born and yet I am still the same person I was when I was nine years old, I was her when Amanda was born, when I was nine and now. Yet it was a lifetime ago.

Mandy was also in a play this week. I went out to see her perform two afternoons this week. It was a lot of fun. She did a great job.

So this has been a week about the princess. Lily and I gave her a fun birthday party on Friday. Every year when I was growing up my mom let us pick whatever we wanted to have for dinner on our birthday and I have continued the tradition with my girls. Mandy picked spaghetti tacos. make spaghetti and put it in a taco shell with some cheese on top. So that is what we had for dinner. We also had a lot of fun with the candles and a balloon fight after dinner. Lily insisted on blowing up every balloon she could find in the house to decorate. My girls are a lot of fun and we laughed until we had the hiccups.

4 comments:

patrice said...

We do spaghetti tacos too!!
I have a great image in my head of you three having a great time with Happy Birthday!
Much warmth,
P-

luckyzmom said...

Sounds like a corny meatball sandwich*) May the happy last a long time.

Kimberly said...

Never heard of Spaghetti tacos, I must try it soon! You are so lucky to have such a great relationship with your girls. Happy Birthday to Mandy and congrats mom on raising such an awesome daughter!

momof3boys said...

I remember when Mandy was born!! I even babysat her when she was just 3 days old!! She was such a sweet baby!! Happy Birthday Mandy!!- Love Kathy M- (kalpakgian) PS-your old house is for sale again.