Sunday, September 09, 2007

Are you prepared to file an insurance claim?

I don't really know all that much about insurance. Except how to pay the bill. I have never in my life had to file an insurance claim. We pay out more per month in insurance than we do to the bank for our house. Sucks. Watching all the coverage of the anniversary of Katrina here in the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, I learned a couple things about insurance that I thought I would share with you.

The Big Mistake


When you sign up for your insurance policy, for home owners or renters. The insurance company will ask you to estimate the value of your belongings. How much would is cost to replace your belongings? You estimate and the rate you pay is based on this estimation. I was under the impression that if all my stuff is destroyed, this is the amount my insurance company would give to me and I would go replace my things at my discretion. Not the case, according to the people here who are still battling the insurance companies for their money.

You Need Proof


If your things are destroyed that amount that you estimated is the very most your insurance company will give you for the replacement of your belongings. The insurance company will require you to provide for them some sort of proof of the things you owned and proof of the value of those items. If you don't have proof, you don't get any money. If you don't have proof you might as well stop paying for your insurance because they aren't going to get any money from them.

Making A List


Create a list of all your belongings. Make sure you have a picture of each item on the list, not a separate picture of each item you can do a lot of items in each picture. Make sure you include: brand name, model number, the year you bought it, the price you paid, etc. Keep a file that has this list along with a picture of each item along with a scanned copy of the receipt. Now you have a digital record of all your stuff. Anything not on this list will not be replaced. Add up the value on this list, that is all the money you will get, so don't pay for 100 thousand dollars worth of insurance for your belongings when your list only ads up to 10 thousand like mine.

Secure Your List


Now if your house is destroyed by fire, flood, or meteor; you have to make sure your list is somewhere safe that will not be destroyed as well. Some suggestions are: a memory stick on your key chain with an encrypted password, online storage-password protected, your grandma's attic. Having the info on your computer is not going to be helpful if your home is destroyed.

Have you any insurance company experience? I believe that better regulation of the insurance industry is the single most important factor in this upcoming election. The health insurance, home owners insurance, auto insurance, etc. If you take a look at the Forbes list of most profitable companies these all top the lists, they are raping us and then not doing the job they are designed to do. People who get sick, people who lose their homes, they are not being helped. They have so much money and so much power that their is no regulation. The majority of the people harmed the most are the poor. It is shameful. I think it is time for an alternative, in the meantime make a list of all your stuff. You would think if they wanted verification of what you owned they would seek that verification before they entered into a contract with you to insure you for said amount, before they take your money which seems to me to be a contract of good faith that they will insure you for the replacement value of your belongings. Of course as you can see I am not a lawyer and have absolutely no knowledge of how insurance works.

13 comments:

Sheila said...

Yes, this is probably something I need to do. You are absolutely right to encourage us to document our material processions.

On a slightly different point regarding home owners insurance: sometimes it doesn't pay to file a claim. If you have too many claims, it is possible that your rates will go up or the company will drop you. After many years of no claims, we had two claims at our old house: one for hail damage and one for a huge tree falling across the drive and fence damage. When we were trying to sell the house, the buyer started dickering about there being hail damage and our agent warned us, we would be jeopardizing our coverage if we filed another claim and the adjuster determined there was no damage. Well, we ended up receiving a little money but I imagine our "permanent record" is red flagged now.

Marshamlow said...

Thanks Shelia, that is good to know.

Lorelei said...

I guess since we live in a relatively "low risk" area our insurance rates aren't too bad -- plus we never see them anyway since it's all part of our mortgage payment. We've had some basement flooding since we moved into this piece of crap house, but we've never bothered to file a claim.

I've filed a few car insurance claims before and they were always smooth and wonderful (State Farm).

That process to document all your stuff just seems so labor-intensive I think I'd have to take a month of leave from work just to do it all, and I know full well I don't have receipts for everything. Now I feel like I'm probably wasting money on my insurance for my belongings.

Anonymous said...

We have all our stuff on video but we really need to sit down and make the list more specific. I would also suggest e-mailing that list to a few trusted relatives and ask them to keep it in a safe place at their house to. By the way, please tell me that you went with USAA for your insurance!?!?! Is it a part of your mortgage payment as Lorelei mention. It is good to do that. You probably already know that anyway! Like the new site set up.

Marshamlow said...

Lorelei, what do I know I am sure you are fine. You could maybe take a few pictures of the big ticket items and send them to yourself in an email.

Kim, we have USAA but they don't provide flood or wind so we have to have three policies for the house and another for the cars. Yes, it is all escrowed into the monthly mortgage payment, except the cars. I am not looking forward to Mandy driving, ouch. Jeff says she will have to pay her share of the insurance.

Angel Fernandez Clark said...

Sorry to burst your bubble but Super Bowl was just here, this year it is in Arizona.....maybe Lynna can invite us all! LOL

Lynn said...

I agree with you that it is very important to document not only what you have, but have the receipts as well. Unfortuately, in the real world, most people are not that fortunate.

I know that after a big earthquake here, our insurance company told us we had only $1500 in damage, far less than our deductible...that is, until we hired a contractor who met with the insurance company representative and suddenly the insurance company determined that we had over $100,000 damage...which they paid for. Go figure. I guess the lesson here is to not give up.

Marshamlow said...

Thanks Lynn for sharing your experience. Glad you got your money.

Anonymous said...

This is such excellent information for everyone to be reminded of.

Thank goodness you didn't give up!

Anonymous said...

Stuff like the rich getting richer from dishonesty makes me SOOOO mad!!! It's happening everywhere in every industry. No one cares about anyone they don't know personally and the bottom line is that it's all about money. Oooooohhhh! (Gnashing of teeth)

PandasJr said...

I've had to deal with this more than once. First, my oldest adopted daughter disappeared, then came back and robbed the house, and we ended up getting nothing back from the insurance after spending hours andhours for days on end tracking down sales receipts and owners manuals to prove ownership of the items lost. Then, not long after, my car stereo was stolen out of my car in the middle of the night, and I had to fight to get an equal value amount that I had paid for the stereo in the first place even though I had all the proof in the world that I had had that specific stereo in my car. It was maddening. And I do have insurance experience. I used to work at a huge health insurance provider in New Mexico, and learned all the loopholes for getting the health care youneed covered. But health insurance and property insurance are two different beasts!!

By the way, I'm glad you found my blog on Blog Village, because I like coming to your blog too. I'd like to have a discussion with you being that you are an alumni foster child.

Have a great day!

luckyzmom said...

We have moved so many times since we last inventoried our home. Thanks for the reminder. Perhaps I'll kill two birds with one stone by taking pictures of our stuff to practice. The insurance companies should really be up front about this.

luckyzmom said...

PS- My jury duty story is posted.