Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lake Juniko, Japan

I uploaded all my pictures of our trip to Lake Juniko at Flikr.



It was a lovely trip, the location was incredibly beautiful. Lots more shots of the lakes and scenery at Flikr if you are interested.



Here is the squatie toilet where we peed. No need for a seat cover.



Some lovely hand made bags, I am someday going to learn how to make.



Lily looking a bit rough from camping.



Japanese tourists taking pictures of Lily and her blond hair. After taking the picture a very kind gentleman reached into his bag and gave Lily a box of candy. How sweet. Except who knows what ingredients are in the candy, and as you know Lily is allergic to a lot of things. So rather than risk a sick child on a camping trip we discreetly took the candy away from her. Poor Lily. While I was trying to get Lily to take a nap in the tent a little later in the day, Jeff sat outside the tent listening to his daughter cry and ate her candy. How mean is that? Someone call the child abuse police.



The girls posing with Santa at Santaland. This is open year round, but especially popular around Christmas. A man from Finland dresses as Santa and has built a little Santa town which includes sleigh rides etc in the winter. Lots of little souvenier shops, but it was otherwise free. Check out more photos at Flikr if you want. We think his beard is real!



I couldn't help taking this picture on our drive through Misawa, little Japanese school children on a walk, in their little hats, too sweet!



The landscape of Northern Japan.



Lily at the Sea of Japan, right before the puking incident.



If looks could kill.



A traditional Japanese restaurant overlooking the Sea of Japan. Where Mandy and I snuck a pee. We didn't eat there, and found out after leaving there was a public restroom just down the street. My bad.



Lily camping. Still reeking of puke. And that is the bear Grandma and Papa got her for birthday last year, "Bear" never leaves her side these days, she even dresses her and puts diapers on her.



Our campsite. All the Japanese people stayed in the cabins. They were quite expensive and not nearly as much fun. More pictures of the cabins at flikr.





I wonder what those signs say? I hope they don't say big bear will eat you if you go this way, or the road is out, danger mudslide ahead. We went that way, dumb Americans that we are. More pictures at Flikr.

If you live here in Misawa and want directions to Lake Juniko visit Misawa ITT or go to Simon's Hakkoda Powder website where you will find the directions we used which were great.

6 comments:

laura capello said...

Looks like fun. Except for that toliet-thing. Scary.

Dixie said...

What great pictures! That Lily is a hit no matter where y'all go.

And I have to agree on the toilet thing. I could never manage to use that thing.

Anonymous said...

I already have the camping bug, and those photos make me want to go even more!!

Marshamlow said...

They have those toilets in Italy too. I once had to use one on a train while I was very pregnant, a very bumpy jostling train. Now I am over my fear, but #2 I have never tried. Too much info?

SupComTabz said...

Looks like so much fun!

Janlyn Seow said...

The 2nd last photo is actually the name of the pond while the last photo shows that there is a forest resturant nearby.