Monday, September 25, 2006

I feel old

Your only as old as you feel and I feel old. Last week Lily and I expanded our daily schedule to include walking about a 1/2 mile to the gym and back. This is in addition to the walking to the playground and walking the dog. Therefore Lily has been walking a lot more than usual. When I say walking I really mean running. Jeff and Mandy have been very busy in the evenings and we find ourselves on our own a lot. I also have a ton of school work and find myself on the computer a lot. So Lily is not really getting as much attention from any of us as she is used to getting. Spending time together outside is helping us get through this difficult time. Lily and I have a great time talking, counting, singing, laughing and afterwards Lily eats better, sleeps better and plays quietly on her own better. All good things, excpet...

It seems that all this running, Lily doesn't particularly like to walk, she likes to run full tilt. All this running is causing Lily's endurance level to increase exponentially while mine is only increasing incrementally. Sunday for example we took the dog for a walk and Lily ran full speed for an entire mile. Lily's full speed with her tiny little legs is only a slow jog for me, but a slow jog for a mile is pushing up to the limits of my abilities. I fear that she will surpass me in the very near future. Therefore a little part of me thinks I should strap her into the stroller instead of letter her run. Wouldn't that be mean? It just doesn't seem fair that she is so strong so young. I think she gets it from her dad.

We did take her to the doctor. She is growing well. So her food allergies are not compromising her ability to grow, she is 75 percentile for height and weight. Which is delightful because she was under the 50th percentile before we found out her allergies and now she is more toward where I think she should be. While we didn't receive any additional council or magic cure for her ailments I was glad to have a professional tell me she is healthy. I worry, even if it is obvious from looking at her that she is fine, I still worry. I guess the wish for a doctor to be able to wave a magic wand and make her better is silly, but I couldn't help but feel a little let down that she isn't fixed. Because of all her vigor and good health I sometimes think that maybe she isn't allergic to anything, maybe she is better, maybe we were wrong. I guess it is wishful thinking or my brain playing tricks on me.

4 comments:

laura capello said...

sounds simliar to our false illusion of comfort.

i just sent you an email, unknowing you would be talking about allergies too.

freaking allergies.

i've been crying all afternoon.

stupid freaking allergies.

meno said...

I remember the days of running. It used to be that if Em and i walked together anywhere she would go twice as far because of running ahead, and then running back to me, repeat 50 times.

Am am glad that Lily is doing well. Even though it's usually obvious, it's nice to have a professional tell us too.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I ran. Lily sounds like a good little motivator, if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I saw your site on Technorati and see that you have family that has Gluten issues. I also run a blog and I (along with my members) review Gluten Free foods so that the rest of us dont have to waste our money trying things out. If we all work together we can know what the majority of folks like and dont like. Come see me at www.glutenfreepost.com and maybe we can help!