Thursday, March 06, 2008

Thursday Playgroup

I have been going to the library story time for about six months. It is every Thursday. It is free. It is fantastic and there are a lot of other children Lily's age. The teacher reads a story, and does games, and then we go outside and play at the playground.

It took Lily a long time to get the routine and to be able to behave during this story time. Now she is a pro.

But, today the other moms actually talked to me. They were really nice too. I guess it takes six months of seeing a person every week before they become one of you. Don't get me wrong there have been hellos and goodbyes. There have been nice weather we are having etc. But, an actual conversation, I have never really been included. 90% of that is probably due to my not having the opportunity to chat due to Lily's need for constant course correction. Today I was able to just sit over by the other moms and let her play. Yeah Lily and yeah to the other moms. Bonus points that they are all my age as well. Usually moms of 4 year olds are about 10 years younger than me. Maybe in another six months or so I might get a phone number. This is worse than dating.

On another note, I am hoping to go and see Bill or Hillary Clinton speak tomorrow. The paper says it will be Bill, and Hillary's website says it will be Hillary. Not sure who will be there, but I am excited either way. Shhh, don't tell the moms at the playground, then I will probably never have another conversation again. Maybe someday I will make a friend at the Tuesday playgroup too.

7 comments:

Naomi said...

It's a shame some people are just not free and sociable. I know what you mean Marsha. I've experienced this with people in the past too.

Anonymous said...

I think it is so sad how hard it is for us to make friends at our age. We crave friendship yet so many of us are to set in our ways to extend that hand. I know exactly how you feel. I am glad you had a good day at play group, Lily too! :-)

Laura said...

Funny how things don't change much past high school, groupwise. I attend a hospice grief group with my children. The adults stay in one room while the children are parcelled off into age groups. The only adults who have talked to me are a grandmother and a Dad. Go figure.

Lynanne said...

I've often wondered how long it takes to be accepted into an established group. I guess I always give up before I get to that point. I know what you mean about younger moms.

How neat that Lily is enjoying storytime now!

Kathy said...

I've had this problem too -- especially when I lived in Kansas. I'm glad you and Lily had a good time at story time.

Cynthia said...

I so know what you mean. The playgroup gig is hard. I do the hi and bye, but no number, no connection...It's way harder than dating!

Sheila said...

Curious to hear if you saw Hillary or Bill. Would you have thought months ago that Mississippi voters' votes would matter this much?