Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Bookwormsrus: The book club


Our book club is just finishing up the book, The gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. One of the themes in the book is date rape, by a high school football hero or "god". After reading the book, which I loved by the way, I got to thinking that I probably need to discuss this topic with my 15 year old daughter. But, what do I say? What are the rules for dating or hanging out with popular boys? Avoid at all costs because they can do what ever they want, including rape, and you have no recourse, because they are "gods"? It is best to never be in a situation where you are alone with a boy, because this is considered to be consent to anything he wants, because he is popular and people will just assume that you said yes? I doubt she would even listen to that advice. So what do I say? Any thoughts?

2 comments:

meno said...

I have no idea. Maybe give her the book to read? If it's appropriate. And then you can talk about it that way.

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

We are going on holiday, just wanted to wish you and your family and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!