Monday, March 19, 2007

Laughter is the best medicine

Today is my last day in my house. I was planning to write a lovely blog entry about being a stay at home mom or about the soul searching I have been doing in order to help me overcome my weight issues. Pretty exciting stuff, not.

We got a phone call, our stuff has already arrived in Mississippi. How lovely, we will be able to have it when we arrive. Months of living with borrowed furniture is paying off, not.

It seems that a flatbed carrying our stuff flipped over and more than half of all our belongings have been damaged or destroyed. Not sure what that means exactly until we get there and take a look. I hope it is all the stuff I don't really like and none of the stuff I love. Our photos, the lovely oil paintings I have collected from our travels, the girls' things. Moving is hard enough on the girls but if all their stuff is destroyed, that will be an added frustration.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it. I guess I will be more devastated later when I see the broken things. I was actually thinking of having Jeff go and assess the damage and not ever physically looking at the things that were broken myself. Especially not allowing the girls to see the broken things. I think it will be a little easier if we don't have a mental image of it broken, instead to just be told, that was broken. Poor Jeff I always make him do the hard stuff.

Last night I finally gave in and agreed with my whole heart that we would let someone come and finish the cleaning process. How depressing, I feel like a failure. What that means is starting tomorrow I am all done with the moving crap. We will be living in a hotel, we will spend our last week saying goodbye to people and places, no worries. I will try to find computers to stay in touch and give the old blog an update every now and then.

Thanks for all your support on the Jeff - fixing Lily issues. I am sure that I laid the ground work and that Lily and I were just stuck in a bad pattern, Jeff was able to get her out of that pattern, and he deserves some credit. Not all the credit, but some. This last week Lily has been a source of joy and a beacon of light in the mist of all the chaos. She is going through the process of learning about make believe, she makes up silly stories and does silly things. She likes to make people laugh and I comply as much as possible. I think she has discovered that a good laugh makes her feel better. I have learned the fine art of forcing myself to laugh at the same thing a million times. But, once I get going it usually turns into real laughter in a minute or two. While Mandy has always been very affectionate, Lily has always preferred to run and play than to be held. She is affectionate, just not in a physical way, and this gives us a chance to show our love to each other without smothering her with kisses and dreaded hugs. I thought this move would be made harder by the fact that Lily is so young, but really she has been a way to get my head out of the stresses and just have a good laugh.

4 comments:

meno said...

I am so sorry about your stuff. I hope it will become an opportunity to start off with a clean slate, but i suspect it will just be a hassle.

You are NOT a failure for hiring a cleaner, you just have better things to worry about. I think you are smart.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I always heard of stuff happening to people in their move but I never knew anyone who it happened to...until now. I am sorry to hear that your things are broken. No matter what they will have sentimental meaning to you all. But look at it this way, a new house with new things, all courtesy of the US Government. If you have renters insurance that will help out to. But I believe the gov has to pay up to 20 thousand, if not more. Stay on top of them and don't let them take forever to get you the money, they are slow when it comes to giving money out! I wish you the best this next week. Enjoy your last few days in Japan. Can't wait to hear about your journey as a family back to the states. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Ohh I hope that works out much better than it sounds at the moment. I look forward to you being back online.

Dixie said...

Oh no. I'm sorry about your stuff being broken. I hope it sounds much worse than it is.

It'll seem funny to have you out of pocket while you're moving but I'll be so excited to know you've arrived safely in Mississippi.

Tell my home state I love her when you get there!