Last night I put Lily to bed at about 8:30PM then I laid down for a quick nap before having to pick up Mandy from school at about 10PM. They had an away volleyball game, so the poor girl left the house at 6AM and did not return home until after 10PM and still had to do homework. Poor girl.
When Mandy and I got home, I heard noises coming from Lily's room. She was having quite the conversation, two hours after I had put her to bed. I popped my head in to see what was up. Lily was on the floor reading a book to her Lamby by the light of her night light. Around her on the floor were dozens of books, I am assuming books she had previously read. It really cracked me up, she is only four and doesn't actually know how to "read", but there she was sneaking books late at night. Just like I did as a child and her sister still does. She knows all her books by heart and reads them with quite a bit of dramatic interpretation.
She was still mad at me this morning when she woke up for making her stop. First words out of her mouth were a continuation of our argument about going to bed the night before. I sometimes feel bad about forcing my kids to put the books down. The other day while Lily and I were having a room cleaning battle I was tempted to take away all her books until she assisted in the cleaning up, but I did not go quite that far. I did however load a butt load of baby dolls and their accessories into a garbage bag. I am pretty sure the books would have made more of an impact on her level of compliance.
related posts:
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
7 comments:
It is fabulous that both your girls love to read. You are quite the task master!
How wonderful that Lily loves to 'read'. I can understand that you need her to get to sleep so that she won't be grumpy/grouchy the next day.
That is wonderful and funny that she loves to read like that. I read all the time, I always read to my kids but they aren't big readers. I expect yours will be.
What a nice story! My younger son "read" his favorite book by memory before he actually could read the words. She will grow up to love books I predict.
Luckyzmom: It is fabulous, I am usually too much of a pushover so I was proud of myself for this.
Lynn: Thanks, Lynn.
Katya: I used to read all the time and I am finally picking it back up.
Shelia: Thanks, Shelia.
The reading in bed was adorable. My daughter loves to read as well, and gets armloads of books from the library.
Sanyo massage chairs
In my family all rules are given slack when it comes to reading. When my son was little I couldn't get him interested in reading ANYTHING. Everything was "boring." So I challenged him to find something interesting at the bookstore and he got hooked on the Goosebumps series. Oh my goodness... Coming from a religious background it took everything I had to allow that child to read those books. He tore through them like wildfire but it killed me knowing the crap he was reading. I often wondered if I would beat myself up about letting him read such stuff when he was so young, but now I'm so glad I did. The love of reading is so important that it was worth it to let him read Goosebumps. I remember the scene in some movie where the kid wouldn't read and the babysitter got him into reading Playboy. lol Anything to instill the love of reading... ;-)
Post a Comment