I have heard many a news report about cold medicine not being safe for children. Even the cold medicine specifically made for their age, the FDA has issued a warning that it is potentially unsafe for children to take these medicines. This is nothing new, when Mandy was suffering from her first cold more than 16 years ago, her pediatrician warned me not to give her over the counter medications for her cold. More than 10 years ago a friend of mine was in medical school studying to be a pediatrician and during a conversation told me that children's bodies react very differently too medications than adult bodies do. That children are not small adults, their systems and bodies are completely different than ours.
But, I feel so guilty. I take cold medicine and it makes me feel better. My snuffling sneezing coughing aching stuffy head fever are reduced by my little pill. Every time Lily sneezes, coughs, needs her nose wiped, wakes up from coughing, I feel bad. I try to go without the medicine, to be one with her. But, I really want to take that tylenol cold. I even think about giving her some medicine. It is right there in the walmart, at the winn dixie, at the commissary, at the bx. Good ole children's cold medicine, guaranteed to knock her out cold if nothing else.
Do you give your kids cold medicine? Do you feel bad for taking it when they can't?
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
12 comments:
I am guilty. I give it to Jake. But I only give him a small dosage and I do see a difference in him, I monitor him etc. I think the major concern her is that people over dose their kids because it does not say how much to give a child under 2 or 6 or whatever the age it says. My ped. has told me to give a certain amount of OTC drugs to Jake. Just watch the amount, less is best!
Yes, and if you keep giving your children cold medicine they will do something crazy like stuff toilet paper in your toilet or something!!
Yeah, maybe something like that!
yep. nope.
really it's only a concern for kids under 2, and at that it's only the cough part of the cough and cold that's potentially bad if misused. the decongestant isn't dangerous (according to my pediatrician) and it helps keep all the gunk from building up that can cause a secondary ear infection.
i don't know how i'd feel if this info came out while i had an infant. i think that being armed with saline spray and a bulb syringe doesn't quite cut it.
I've not given it to Annie, but hell yes, I'll take it with no guilt whatsoever! My last cold I did Tylnol PM at night and I slept great. With a major head cold, I'll do NyQuil type stuff.
I never heard childrens meds were bad for children. I kept my kid doped up for all his illnesses as much as possible. Maybe this explains everything... lol
I give my kids cough medicine...but that was under the advice of their pediatrician. As they've gotten older, the doctor has said that they can have 'Claritin'...why don't you tell Lily's doctor that she is miserable, and ask if there is something he/she can recommend.
I did but now it seems like the advice is to be careful. Even with prescription meds I wonder if they are as safe as we think.
You may want to go to a health food store and talk to them about homeopathic remedies. I used the teething pills, eons ago, but it helped when nothing else would.
Hmmm. I just give my group pain relief right now.
Thank goodness we haven't had any really BAD colds yet this winter though.
But I'm with you, if they get a REALLY bad spell I might be reaching for the stuff too. Surely just a little can't hurt?
I'd take it and wouldn't feel guilty about it (unusual for me as I can feel guilty about anything) because how could I take care of my kids if I'm sick too?
Hi Marsha!
My youngest child is nine and a half. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I've honestly never thought about this. Interesting post!
Post a Comment