Friday, January 18, 2008

No Good Day Goes Unpunished

Yesterday Lily (4) and I had such a lovely day at her library story time and then at the playground afterwards. You will remember I wrote about the fact that she has a problem with hitting. I wanted to point out that she does not have a problem with hitting other children. Even at the playground when she was hit and pushed by other children she handled it by telling them politely not to hit or push her. She has the mommy voice down pat. Her withering look and, "Honey, please do not push me. I do not like to be pushed. Pushing is not nice. OK? No more pushing." Made a little girl cry. But, they were soon friends again. I was so proud. She still hits me or herself whenever I say, "the wrong thing". But, she seems to be on the right track with her friends. Even though at home I pretend to be a monster attacking her and she pushes me down, I fall to the ground do a couple of somersaults and lay still beaten by the big strong and powerful, King Lily as she calls herself. I tried to explain Queen she wouldn't listen. Sometimes after pushing me down ( all with exaggerated slow motion falling) she will run across the room and do a belly slam. Ahh good times. She always asks politely before pushing me or belly slamming me. But, she still hits me when she is mad. But, I do believe that all the little ones whose mommy's do not play rough that they hit too, at least all the ones we play with hit.

On the way home from the lovely time at the playground, my very favorite song of all time came on the radio. As a little girl I had a record player and several records that people had bought for me, one of those records was my very favorite Andy Gibb. I would listen to that album over and over. My favorite song being, I just want to be your Everything. I turned up the volume and sand along. What are the chances of hearing that song on the radio? Haven't heard it in so many years. Next thing I know my brakes went out.

A couple of weeks ago: Jeff and Chad "fixed" my brakes. They spent many hours in the driveway with the car in pieces afterwards assuring me that all was fine. While they replaced the shoes and drums, it was the rotors that are out now. I have no idea what any of that means except that I don't believe in coincidence... Anyways, I have to go in and get my brakes fixed this morning. $375.

We are on a budget this year after paying for Mandy's braces. All paid for but not on her teeth yet. We received a discount for paying cash up front to the tune of $500. Now whenever the insurance company decides to give us a little something-something we get a reimbursement from the orthodontist. The first insurance payment was $375. But now the brakes... Since our new years resolution budget we are not supposed to go out to dinner, movies, sports, etc for one year. Last night we were so distraught about the brakes we went out to dinner. And the restaurant sucked too. My first bad restaurant in Mississippi. What a day.

To recap, haven't saved any money yet...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish saving money wasn't so hard!

Dixie said...

Saving money is so hard sometimes, especially when unexpected things crop up...and they always do.

King Lily. That cracks me up.

Lorelei said...

Very true, no good day goes unpunished! Sorry about your brakes. I believe I've heard that you can't replace your brake pads/drums without replacing the rest at the same time. Car maintenance is always a P.I.T.A.

Lynn said...

Money issues certainly cause stress...I wonder why money can't just grow on trees. I'd plant myself a huge forest...then I'd share:~)