Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Birthday Party

My mom passed down a birthday tradition to me that I continue in our family. On your birthday you get to pick your dinner and we as a family sit down and eat your favorite meal together. Mandy picked pasta carbinara this year, with warm and buttery buns, she wanted a white cake, with vanilla ice cream & chocolate sauce, and sprite. Lily and I decorated the house with black and white balloons and crept paper. It was a nice dinner, cake and presents.

Later, Mandy got the remote control and we all watched American Idol. Haven't seen it in many years. We had a blast. Loved the 70's theme. We all sang along and then between performances we somehow started singing other songs that get stuck in our head. We are all awful singers so it is funny for us to belt it all out. I had a really great time.

Mandy works most evenings, so all of us spending an evening together is rare. The last young man to sing was singing John Lennon's Imagine and it brought a tear to my eye. What in the world happened to Simon, is he not mean anymore? I kept waiting for a smarmy comments. I think that American Idol is like Survivor, a show that is so bad if you watch it alone, but so good if you watch it with fun people. They are shows that need smarmy comments and laughter. Now I am really looking forward to our summer trips. Too bad we didn't buy a mini van and we are going to all be crammed into our little Nissan Sentra. At least we will get good gas millage.

4 comments:

Laura said...

That sounds like it was so much fun. I think we're going out with Nik on Saturday, for her birthday. We do the same thing with American Idol. Singing during the breaks. :)

Lynn said...

Mandy's birthday dinner and ensuing evening sounds like a true wonderful memory making experience.

Sheila said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Mandy. I think your tradition is a great way to celebrate. Just 'cause they are teens doesn't mean you have to give up traditions.

Naomi said...

Sounds like Mandy had a great birthday Marsha. Belated birthday wishes to her. That sounds like a great family night. I enjoy American Idol too.