Friday, February 29, 2008

HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV)

We recently got a letter in the mail from our health provider saying that they recommend Mandy get the new HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) shot. HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV)causes 70% of cervical cancer and 90% of genital warts. The new vaccine prevents a person from getting HPV. Only this shot is only being given to girls. Why not boys too? Both sexes get this virus, but having the virus does not cause any harm to a boy, no cervix no cervical cancer. But if everyone were vaccinated wouldn't it help to prevent the spread of this disease more than if only young women are vaccinated. Does this bother anyone else?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never thought about this but you're right!

Lynn said...

Maybe this vaccine doesn't work to prevent the disease in boys.

Laura said...

I think the latest is that they haven't tested it on boys. I am wary of this vaccine because it hasn't received the normal time for clinical trials and it was a smaller than average group. I'm taking a wait and see, teach my daughter view on it.

Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

I'm bothered by the fact that my insurance covers it in young women up to age 23... but no older.

I'm 24. I haven't had a boyfriend yet. And I would like to be protected. But I don't have the money to pay for the series of shots out-of-pocket.

Marshamlow said...

sniz, thanks.

lynn, I have never heard of separate vaccinations for males and females, other viruses we all get the same vaccine.

laura, I am not 100% sure what we are going to do. I am worried that if it is not safe for boys and they don't want to risk giving it to boys maybe they shouldn't risk giving it to girls.

Princess cat's pajamas, I hate insurance. Good luck, I hope they change their policy, maybe someone would be willing to make an exception for you.

Kathy said...

I'm holding back on getting this for my daughter as like Laura it bothers me that it hasn't received the normal time for clinical trials and it was tested on a small group of people.

Naomi said...

You have a point there Marsha. From this year onwards all 12 year old girls (again girls not boys!) in England are going to receive this vaccine Marsha. Apparently our Dept of Health believes it will help generations of women for years to come!