We woke up yesterday morning and before I even saw Lily I could hear her in her room celebrating the fact that it was finally JULY. Before we even said good morning to one another Lily asked me, do you know what today is? I answered, only the first day of the best month ever. And then I put my hands above my head and threw my head back and made a sound like that of an audience roaring their applause in the background. Imitating a rock star after their final set. Lily liked that image and continued to ask me do I know what today is for the rest of the day. No matter what I was doing I would, answer my answer and do my rock star initiation.
Having a July birthday meant that Lily was the very last one in her class to turn 6. She has been waiting all year as the other kids got to have parties and turn six. Now it is finally here, the month she will turn six. We are also going on vacation this month and she is really excited about that. But, it is all about the turning six - that is two hands baby!
As we were being really silly all day about the fact that it is July, I remember the comment my friend made just the day before. We were at the pool with a friend and her son is SEVEN - wow he is OLD - and she told him at one point that girls are just silly. I heard this comment and I hadn't actually seen what Lily did to illicit such a remark. I was shocked to think that boys are not silly. I asked her and her son about this. I tried to think of all the silly things we do. And there is a lot. And they continuously shook their heads. No, they do not partake in that type of fun.
No, make believe noises. No, pretending to be on the moon and trying to walk in bounding type ways. No, talking in silly voices. No, turning up Van Halen really loud and trying to jump like a rock star. No, bouts of giggles. I have never been the mom of a boy but is it really true? Are boys not silly? Is being silly not something that boys do? How weird. Maybe it is just my friend and her boy. I am trying to wrap my mind around this. It does seem like Jeff just shakes his head at our silliness. But, I married him because he is a nut. He used to do Austin Powers imitations and being a total goofball. Isn't being a goofball the same as being silly?
Maybe some people like to be cool and some people like to be silly. I think it is good when silly people are friends with cool people because they offset each other. But, I never thought of silly and cool being based on gender. Like boys are cool. Girls are silly. What do you guys think are boys silly? Do your little boys like to be silly? Do you think girls are sillier than boys?
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
5 comments:
Oh boys are silly, but they are reserved in many ways too. I can act all goofy with Jake and he will just look at me at times, and then every once in a blue moon he will react with me, like "shaking our boodies!" However that being said, I have a friend whose boys would never do those kind of things, because she never did. I think it is sad. They are not as creative with their imagination and, I feel, never really are getting the opportunity to just be a kid. So be silly with Lilly!
I used to have a friend who said that girls are born silly and boys have to be taught.
My husband gets pissed off when i say that, but i think there's some truth to it.
I get grief in my house constantly because I am silly. Jake rolls his eyes at me all the time. Boys can be so boring sometimes. Their loss! Enjoy the silly, because those will be some of Lily's happiest memories when she grows up.
What a great question. I have one of each. I think females are much more willing to be openly silly, whereas guys are more subtle silly. I am surprised to realize that there is a difference. It's been decades since my husband chased me around in his gorilla mask.
my boys are very silly. unfortunately a lot of it involves bathroom humor! that's ok, it's still funny to me.
my husband, however, is sorely lacking a silly bone.
Post a Comment