Monday, August 28, 2006

First Day of School

Today is Mandy's first day of school, the 10th grade. I can still remember the first day of 10th grade. Over the weekend Mandy and I gave her room a makeover. We spent eight straight hours going through everything and re-arranging, re-organizing, re-decorating. It was nice. Now she has all her beautiful things displayed and organized. Everything is clean. All her new clothes are neatly folded in her drawers and hung in neat little rows in her closet. All her school supplies are organized on her desk. And there is plently of room for homework to be done on the desk. Today I have to get her some new pillows and we will be set. It was nice to spend so much time with her, just the two of us, working toward a common goal. Of course we didn't agree on anything, but we managed to make it through without any blood shed.

I finally got around to reading Mandy's favorite book, Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Mandy has been after me to read it for a couple of years. We used to read books together all the time, but with Lily being born and Mandy growing up we seldom read the same books anymore. So this was long overdue. The book is 656 pages long. It took me a week to read. I spent every spare moment reading it, I read it at the playground, during Lily's nap, after she went to bed, every spare moment. I finally finished the book only to discover it is just part one. Mandy handed me the second one this morning, it appears to be even longer. I enjoyed spending time with Mandy, the two of us have had moments of connection that have been missing for ages.


Lily and I are off to gymnastics, she is already screaming at me, this doesn't look like it is going to go well.

*updated to add: It seems that the at home screaming must have purged Lily, she did great at gymnastics. Back to reading for me.

**There is still time to join our online bookclub. We only have a handful of participants, we are picking our first book soon. So if you have ever wanted to join a bookclub, this is a great opportunity, you can even help us pick the books. Even though it will be online it will still be fun, we will find a way to incorporate drinking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to be able to organize anything in my life the way you did your daughter's room. Honestly, that ability or let's say, that opportunity, has totally abandoned me for the moment. It's coming, though, maybe this winter.

My son resists any attempt on my part to get in there and organize his stuff, which I can understand. But now, packing for college, the utter chaos is really making me anxious!

meno said...

So, what did you think of the book? My daughter read that series a few years ago too, and she sometimes gives me books to read, but not this one.
I won't even go into her room, much less offer to organize it. You are a brave woman.

Dixie said...

I need to do some organizing myself!

My good friend, Sari (http://thegeekinside.blogspot.com/) just read that book recently. If you like it and Sari liked it, I may have to read it.

Anonymous said...

I love that you picked Ms. Lipman's book as your suggestion for the book club selection. I just love her to bits and pieces and back again.:-)

Anonymous said...

And a big P.S. LOVE the new look! Muchly!