Monday, December 17, 2007

The Christmas Party

Last week was the Christmas party for Jeff's office. I had to buy a present for Lily from Santa, I waited until the last moment due to all my other obligations and had a really hard time trying to buy something for her with her right there. She is so observant, I couldn't get away with anything. I also had to buy three white elephant gifts, for Jeff, Mandy and I. I also had to make a dessert, pick Mandy up from school, bla bla, bla, it was a very busy day, week, month...

I chose to get Lily a watch for her present from Santa. Santa actually came to the party and called out the kid's names. It was sweet. Lily has been interested in what time it is and little else for over a month. She asks me about the time every 10 to 15 minutes all day long. She checks all the clocks in the house etc. I thought a cute little Dora the Explorer watch of her very own would be just the right present for her. I managed to get it in the shopping cart and paid for on the sly.

When Lily opened her watch she was enormously disappointed. Mommy, why didn't Santa give me a toy? Can I play with the other kid's toys? She was so upset. I was trying to get the watch out of the package and set to the right time. That wasn't going well. This is the moment that Jeff's boss, the nice lady who let me stay with her while I came out here to find a house, this is when she sat down next to me for a conversation. I am trying to fix this cheap watch, Lily is crying, the watch keeps coming apart. It was awful. I finally got the watch on Lily, only it has a cover. You have to open a little lid to see the time. Of course it shuts so tightly that Lily needs help to open it up to see the time. And, when you open it up her skin gets pinched in the crevice. Lots more crying. Jeff's boss disappeared at some point I guess I was being rude.

All in all it was one of our better Christmas parties.

7 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

Oh, Marsha...I've been there, done that! Hopefully your next Christmas event will be better. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog! I'm happy to have you as a reader.

Anonymous said...

You just never know with kids. One of the better Christmas parties huh?

luckyzmom said...

I miss the childrens Christmas parties. I have many pleasant memories though and also the ones where my son was terrified of the Santa.

Lynn said...

Oh man...I feel for you.

Sheila said...

Me too. I've gotten what I thought would be a great present only to be wrong.

Dixie said...

You know in ten years this will make a great story to tell her and she'll get a kick out of it. I always love to hear Christmas stories where well intentioned things go wrong.

Cynthia said...

Awww bummer...