When Lily was only a few months old I decided to go back and try to do this college thing again. Being a stay at home mom, this was my first time out of the house in months. I just loved the opportunity to be Marsha. Not Jeff's wife, not Mandy's mom, not Lily's mom - Marsha.
We read and discussed a lot of interesting material. My professor was the best professor ever, he knew how to get a good argument going. Turns out that most of the time I disagreed with everyone in the class (I know you are all shocked). Still I had a great time debating all kinds of things. One of the other students was a Japanese national, she was not married and nearly 40. This is very uncommon in in the rural northern part of Japan where we lived. Living near the military base gave her the opportunity to have a job, on the American military base, and support herself.
She asked me about marriage, she had noticed throughout the class that I am very outspoken and basically a hard core feminist. She was baffled about how I could be married. I am pretty sure all the small minded young soldiers in our class were thinking the same thing. She asked me some hard questions that I still think about sometimes. And I still do not know how to answer those questions. Having Chad, a single guy around has brought these thoughts to me again.
She wonders if I had to give up a part of myself to my husband. If it was hard to have to share my whole self with him. If I sometimes wished I could keep a part of me separate from husband and children and just be me. At first I say no. But, then I remember how much I enjoyed going to school away from the family and just having some people know me for me. But, I enjoy being married. That is the understatement of a lifetime. I am so much happier, so much more peaceful, so much more of myself, being married.
I notice that Chad doesn't tell us when he is coming or going. He doesn't tell us when to expect him for meals or what time he needs the shower or anything. There is no communication. If we ask questions his posture suggests we are encroaching on his privacy. Which totally cracks me up because Jeff and I discuss EVERYTHING. We are all on the same page here, there are no hurt feelings or misunderstandings. No one tries to mislead or get away with anything. I don't feel like this is giving up my privacy. Perhaps it is because I don't feel like anyone here is judging me. I lay it all out there and I know they are going to love me.
I wonder if this means that Jeff and I are the type of people that are made for marriage. And other people are just not the type of people who are made for marriage. Or does this mean that we are married so we have changed? I do need to get out into the world away from the family a bit more. I enjoy it when I do, but I fear it too.
Do you keep a bit of yourself, or do you wish you could keep a bit of yourself, separate from your husband/wife?
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
8 comments:
Good Blog Marsha!!
I have kept a piece of myself as I think everyone woman must do to remain sane. This piece is invested in my school work, my job time, my alone time, my friends I have outside of my family, and my blog at times. My husband lets me be me whenever I want and it is great!! As long as things I do will not hurt me and my family then I'm free to be me!!!
I also keep a part of myself separate. It's in my nature to protect myself that way by not putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Sounds like Chad doesn't really know how to be a part of any group. The questions you are asking are perfectly reasonable for people who are sharing space.
I think it's healthy to always keep a part of yourself separate. We are individuals, after all. It's our individual-ness that we bring to a marriage and make it unique and wonderful. It's our individual-ness that probably attracts our partners in the first place. I do think it takes some time to learn how to be successfully married. I bet in time Chad would be fine if he got married. It's a learning process.
wow, what a thought provoking post...
i have not kept enough of myself and my own interests intact, which is probably what's bothering me so much lately. i need to spend a little more time doing yoga and quilting, and i bet my marriage would be happier as a result.
Keep a part of yourself, keep a job, keep your identity and don't tie yourself to anyone else's star. Keep learning and growing and develop a love of adventure if you (not you Marsha, but in general) don't already possess it.
I have been married so long we think the same things at the same time. Now that's scary.
Hello - Miss you guy's!!!
After 31 years (in 8 days) I have given almost all of myself away. It isn't such a problem until your kids leave home. I have been working on the difficult job of reassembling the pieces.
The more I think about this the more confused I become.
I wrapped so much of myself up in my husband that it has been difficult to go on without him. A lot of me left this earth with him. At times I regret it because maybe the grieving would be easier, at others I am really glad that each breath he took was my breath, each day he woke up he was told he was loved...I could go on. That's a really tough question.
Post a Comment