What do you think of when you think of Japan? Electronics, great cars, big cities, neon signs, buildings with tv screens on the side filled with advertisments? Would you believe that here in the land of technology they still plant their rice by hand? I don't know if everyone does it. I know that here in Misawa they do.
Today Mandy got to go on a field trip to plant rice. She went out in the muddy field and learned to plant the rice by hand. She had a blast. My daughter who washes her hands obsessively, was covered from head to toe in mud. And she loved it.
If I go to the Japanese grocery store, a 5lb bag of locally grown rice costs about $35. I guess when you hand plant, grow, and harvest your rice it is a bit more expensive.
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
2 comments:
Oh,man! No pictures (although understandable if you had muddy hands, but still).
Sounds like an awesome field trip -- certainly not something you can do in my neck of the woods.
Wow! Now that some expensive rice. ;-)
Yeah, you would think that they'd come up with a better way to plant rice. But sometimes the old ways turn out to be the best ways.
Post a Comment