Monday, July 16, 2007

Raining, pouring, old man snoring

I love a rainy day. Weird thing is that here in Mississippi, today on this rainy day it feels less humid to me. Must be due to a drop in the temperature. Plus, there are no mosquito's biting me and the very faint amount of a/c in my little black car is just enough to feel just right.

Mandy's summer vacation has ended. She isn't back in school yet, however, her new job and her volleyball practice have both started this week. She hasn't gotten her license yet and I am now spending 2 to 3 hours per day in my car as her personal chauffeur. We did have fun though.

Lily and I took advantage of being out of the house and ran some errands. Library, grocery store, thrift store, etc. It was mildly raining. Which actually made it a bit more fun, at least to me. I lived in Seattle for the first 12 years of my life, maybe that is why a summer drizzle is so enjoyable to me. Jeff called me at lunch time and was very distraught about the weather. Perhaps I am the only one who doesn't mind a rainy day.

I recently read an article that stated Seattle is not the rainiest city in America that title was given to Mobile, Alabama - which incidentally is right down the road from me. I was intrigued because living here it seems like it is much more sunny than it is in Seattle. The article measured rain by inches and not by the duration of time in minutes, hours, days, weeks, months ...raining. Mobile gets lots of inches but I am pretty sure Seattle would win if the rain was measured in time. Usually when it rains here it only lasts for about an hour or so and it comes down in sheets. In Seattle when it rains it drizzles and lasts for weeks. But, today we have borrowed the weather from Seattle and have a lovely drizzle. I am home on a break from my chauffeuring duties. I have to leave to pick up Mandy soon, take her home, where she will eat and change and then it is back out to take her to volleyball practice. Poor girl has gone from sleeping 20 hours per day to this break neck pace. I hope she is having a good time.

Speaking of change, I am doing the from couch to 10k in 20 weeks program. I heard about it from Busy Mom and googles it, I found the schedule and I am giving it a shot. Yesterday, I had to walk for 30 minutes, even I can handle that. By mid November I am going to be able to run 10 Kilometers. I think you should all do it with me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I think I will google that program and may join you in it. I walk with my neighbor each night for 30 minutes, maybe she will want to do it too.
As for the rain, just wait...when a rather large tropical storm comes your way, you will see lots of rain, and in the winter..jan, feb, it rains a lot, but the beautiful weather that you get there will make up for it! Enjoy the rain!

Marshamlow said...

Sorry, I added the link to the program. Have fun.

Dixie said...

You know, speaking of Mobile, you should check out my buddy, Katya.

http://librariankatya.blogspot.com/

She's a lovely lady, is a librarian, reads like mad, has great taste in music and she lives in Mobile! And she's sweet as can be!

luckyzmom said...

I've just bought a pedometer and intend to keep track of my steps. I will work my way up.

luckyzmom said...

PS You will be surprised to know that I have posted twice in the past couple of days.

Anonymous said...

I'm In! When are we starting? I'm tired of being a coach potato I want to be a thin crisp!!!~~Angel

Lynn said...

Here in Southern California, it seems like it hardly ever rains. Unless we are having an "El Nino" year. I totally understand the 'chauffeuring' activities...I feel like I am always driving either Ten or Twelve somewhere, although my friends who have kids that drive, tell me that they miss that car time with their kids. I'm going to head on over to check out that program...I need to do something to lose 20 pounds and to feel healthier...from couch to 10k in 20 weeks, may be just the thing.