However, we were soon to discover that the battle did not occur from 9-5. In fact there was nothing going on at 9AM. No food being sold, no battles being fought...
It turns out that during the Fall Muster, a bunch of people (more than 100) get together. They dress in Civil War period costumes. Men, women, and children; they all spend the weekend out at the re-enactment site. They spend the night, they re-enact a weekend in the life of the soliders who fought in the civil war. It is not just the battles. They slept under white canvas tents, they were cooking breakfast over an open fire. All of them slept out in the fields, in the camp that was designed to be as close as possible to a camp during the civil war.
At 9AM when we arrived they were just getting up and rustling up some breakfast. Soon there was a morning church service, then a commander's call, then some practise exercises and later, at around 2PM the battle would occur. We had a bit of fun wandering around the campsites. Everyone pretty much ignored us. We were the only people there, not participating in the Muster. We saw a couple of people talking on cell phones.
We wandered over to the battle field and took a close up look at the cannons. Lily had a blast running in the open field. All that open space and she was in heaven. They told us other folks don't normally show up until noon. I guess this is a lesson learned, in Mississippi, even if an event starts at 9AM never show up until noon. OK, now I understand.
4 comments:
The Fall Muster sounds interesting Marsha, even if you did get there a bit early. I enjoyed looking at the photo album gadget you posted on here. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Well, I've never been to anything like this but it sounds like it was good for Lily to run about. I hate to be too early to things like this but we always are because I have a thing about being "on time."
In our neck of the woods, where mennonites abound, if you arrive half an hour after opening hour you missed most of it! Ask me how I know. Maybe we should move to Mississippi...
I love the black and white slideshow effect. Very, very cool!
Mississippi is such a beautiful state, I should get back there sometime...Looks like a really neat festival!
Post a Comment