Thursday, October 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #10

I am addicted to politics. So much so that for my final project in my web design class I am building a web site all about the upcoming presidential election. For research purposes for my final project I am going to list thirteen issues that are being debated by the presidential candidates. I am wondering which of the following issues is the most important to you? Of the following issues, which one do you feel that the next president needs to be in agreement with you in order to get your vote. Pick one, if you want you can also write your thoughts on that issue, but sometimes sharing our political opinions is a bit touchy, so that is not required.

  1. Iraq
  2. Universal Health care
  3. Social Security
  4. Education
  5. Crime
  6. Poverty
  7. Borders/Immigration
  8. Overcrowded Prisons
  9. Tax Cuts
  10. FEMA
  11. Homeland Security
  12. Environment
  13. Unemployment/jobs going overseas

Happy TT. Join the fun, more Thursday Thirteens are located here....

9 comments:

Lorelei said...

Environment. We're killing the planet. With a dead planet, none of the other issues will be relevant.

Unknown said...

Some huge issues there. The environment and the economy should be top of the pile I think.

Sheila said...

Marsha,
I'm glad you are tackling this as a project.

Now to your question: Iraq is keeping us from dealing with the big issues. I just don't know that any candidate is going to have the magical solution. All of the present Democratic front runners have indicated they expect to be there through 2013. What a blasted mess, G.Bush created!

After Iraq and the issue of terrorism and how we approach that, I'd say I'm hopeful some progress can be made on the front of health insurance reform. The lobbying is so intense here that I'm not sure what we will end up with. If anything, it will likely be some watered down reform. I would dearly love to take those folks who insist that we have it so great and introduce them to some of the people I've worked with who were working and still didn't have health care worth diddley-squat.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm not feeling very confident--I fear the Democrats will find a way to lose again.

Anonymous said...

Great T13! Mine is up too!

Marshamlow said...

I love all of your candide responses, I forgot to tell you my answer, which is poverty. I feel that people who live below a certain level of afluence in our country-the working man, they are treated so poorly that we should be ashamed. I feel that all aspects of the list would be improved if the poor had more money, a better quality of life, and hope.

I think people with a decent job, and all the trappings and saftey that goes along with that, would participate toward improving the enviroment. People living in hopeless poverty are not going to give a rat's ass about the planet, the war, etc.

Cynthia said...

OMG, I can't even begin to prioritize that list! I can't pick a number one...I will just say great list and leave it at that...

Anonymous said...

Wow, everyone has some great points here. I would have to say all of them and I really agree with Shiela that Iraq is keeping us away from dealing with the important issues. But If I had to choose one topic that we must agree on I would say Social Security. I hate the fact that it is going to be bankrupt yet so many of us are paying into it, knowing that it probably won't be available for us when we need it. It is a good system that has been poorly managed.

Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

Oh, wow. I can't pick just one. Iraq, health care, education and immigration are the issues I'm particularly passionate about this time around.

Funny story... when I was a teenager, I was very much the poster child for a certain ultra-conservative Protestant church. I swore that I'd move overseas before I watched Hillary or any other Democratic candidate win the Presidency in 2008. Well, seven years later I suppose I fulfilled that prophecy, although not how I intended... now I live overseas and plan to stay that way, but I'm definitely rooting for a Democrat in the White House in 2008!

Anonymous said...

It's impossible to pick just one.

Healthcare and the environment are linked becuase while the corporations are able to own the politicians with massive bribery (sorry, campaign contributions) nothing of any importance can be achieved.