We were having a terribly busy but fun day. I had been running around since 7AM. Right after putting the chicken in the oven I remember a few things I really needed at the store, I left Mandy in charge of the oven and Lily and I buzzed up to the store for a quick pick up. Just as I pulled into the parking lot a really great song came on the radio. As I turned off the car, in the middle of the song, I had an overwhelming desire to finish the song. I hummed it softly under my breath. But, the diva in me took over and I began to really belt out a couple of lines. I put my all into the song, I sang with feeling, with flavor. I really love to sing. I was really having a good day. Very busy, but things were going well, I was getting things done, no snags. The song just errupted out of me like a volcano.
Lily: Mom, what are you doing?
Me: Singing.
Lily: Can you stop it, please.
The thing is that I love to sing. I sing along with the radio. I sing that song in my head. I sing loudly, I sing it with feeling. But, I sing very badly. My whole life I have been singing badly, but having kids, who are always asking me to stop, has taught me that I really do sing quite badly. I have two cute little Simon Cowells living with me. Isn't that lovely? I guess it is better than trying out for American Idol only to be humiliated in front of the entire country. According to my kids I would be featured in the worst portion.
10 comments:
Hi Marsha. I just stumbled on your blog from a link on Andria & Co. under Blogher. Love your blog! Hope you don't mind if I pop by again! Cheerio from South Africa :o)
If William Hung can be a rock star, anyone can.
I absolutely hated to hear my mom sing and I believe it is a universal parent/kid thing. But my husband can actually carry a tune and son two still hates it. Great post. You are probably pretty good.
Heh heh. I can't sing either. I can't even stand to hear myself sing most of the time. But i still wish i could.
dude. my kids tell me i hurt their ears. geesh.
That is why children are born...so that we can embarass them. I used to sing along with the piped in music at the grocery store, until I had trouble finding my kids because they would hide two aisles away.
Kids don't know how to be anything but honest. But so? I can't sing either and aren't you thankful that God gave you a brain that's smart enough NOT to go on American Idol? A lot of those people can't sing either, but don't seem intelligent enough to realize it!
My kindergartners told me once not to sing anymore! LOL They can be so sweet yet so honest!
If there's a song in your heart, sometimes you've just got to sing.
Never mind Marsha, you are in good company, I can't sing either. But then again judging by some of the contestants on XFactor and Idol, we'd pobably both do very well!
Post a Comment