When I was nine, I think it was nine, but let's face it I was nine so who knows if I was really nine or if I was say 8 or 10. I was practicing casting a fishing line in the backyard with my brother. We had a weight but no hook on the line. The weight got caught in the grass. While we were trying to get it out of the grass, a big tug caused it to fly through the air and smack me right in my eyeball. I have not been able to see out of that eye well since. First there was time in the hospital to get it to heel. Then, when a cataract formed, more time in the hospital to get it removed. At that time, eye surgery wasn't what it is today, that was almost 30 years ago, unless it was when I was 8 and then it really was 30 years ago. I tried wearing a contact lens in the eye to correct the vision. But over time, my brain turned off that eye and it went lazy. I can technically see out of the eye, just can't focus. If I think about it I can see the double vision, but usually I don't think about it.
Almost everyone makes really rude comments about my lazy eye. I put it out of my mind, but it seems like everyone has something to say. As I get older people have become less inclined to speak these things to my face. When I look at myself in the mirror or in a photo I don't see the bad eye, I guess my mind ignores the bad eye like it ignores that faint double vision. Over the years, since I have become an adult and eye surgery has made some incredible advancements I have always been to poor to even think about it. Then married to Jeff, we lived overseas and did not have access to those surgeries. Most of my eye doctors have told me that there really isn't anything that can be done anyways.
In Mississippi, if you need corrective lenses to drive, you have to bring a note from your eye doctor in order to get your driver's license. Because we are living in Mississippi because of the military we are not required to get a Mississippi driver's license or become official Mississippi residents. I have decided to get the license, and Mandy is getting one, and I think Jeff is too. So we went today to the eye doctor to get our certification to drive. Lily was an angel. I had to explain the whole thing to the doctor, bla, bla, bla. So I asked if I could get my eye straightened, if I could get it completely fixed, if there is anything that can be done to help a poor blind girl.
At first it was the same old song and dance, brain synapses no longer functioning, nothing can be done. But, after he examined me he said, hmmm, I can see pretty good out of the eye if I want to, maybe... So I got a referral to a specialist. I am so scared to even think about it. Probably I will get my hopes dashed again, but still I might be able to get it fixed. or at least straightened.
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
6 comments:
I hope you can get some improvement, even if it can't be totally fixed. People can be very cruel. I have a very red face, and large keloid scars on my chest. When I talk to people, they never listen to what I say because they're either thinking I just got back from some exotic vacation to cause the "sunburn" on my face, or they're staring at my chest scars wondering what the heck they are. Women who get their boobs stared at are lucky! At least having boobs is normal. HAHA
For 25 years doctors have tried everything to help my face. I've had biopsies, and met with specialists, and tried every prescription pill and cream on the planet. Nothing works. So I gave up a while ago and stopped trying, only to be dragged kicking and screaming back into it with a visit to my current dermatologist who INSISTED the redness could be cured with the pulsed-dye laser. So I went and got my hopes up, and my checkbook out, and had it done - and it (are you ready?) did absolutely nothing. Except lower the balance in my checkbook.
This time, really, I give up. I have a red face: Just deal with it.
My middle brother had cataract surgery at least 30 years ago too. He was able to wear soft contact lenses, but he has one pupil that is not round.
I hope that there is something they can do for you.
if your optic nerve is alive they can probably help.
and if you do have any surgery, there will be no scare. because they pop out the eyeball or work around.
yeah. we have experience in that "eye surgery" department.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for them to be able do something to help you.
Thanks Lorelei, glad to know I am not alone.
Thanks meno, one of my pupils is always completely open and not round.
Capello, I am sure that my optic nerve is alive, the problem is that due to the fact that my brain has ignored this eyes input for 30 years, while I can see when the vision is corrected They are not sure I will be able to convince my brain to listen to this input. Also, if the blurry image which come from this eye is layed on top of the clear image from the good eye, the drs are worried that I will go from a person who can see just fine to a person who cannot see.
Thanks, Lynn and Thanks Angel.
Wow, I can imagine the not wanting to get your hopes up, mixed with a little excitement that you could correct the vision/lazy eye...
My brother has had numerous eye surgeries for a lazy eye. His last was a year ago.(He's 44, his first surgery was at 2yrs) They brought the eye into position and lifted the lid a bit for vison as well as cosmetic. Compared to the surgeries he had 30 years ago, this one was a breeze, healed quickly and looks great. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
With warmth,
P-
Post a Comment