How does the riverboat cruise compare with the first trip that the girls took down the river? How does Mr. Gaines, the professor that inspires the raft trip, affect them-both academically and on a personal level? What expectations do the women have on each trip? How do the two voyages each constitute a rite of passage?
I Think I May Have A Screw Loose
-
I saw my podiatrist yesterday. One part of my foot is still hurting (it's
been almost two months since the surgery). He thinks it may be one of the
screws ...
1 comments:
The river boat trip taken by the girls while they were in college was very open. They were open the the elements, the heat, rain, bugs and open to life and open to one another.
The cruise taken when they were in their 40's was very closed. They were closed off from the elements, closed off to life, and closed to one another.
They really didn't think about the dangers or the possibility of being uncomfortable, the trip just sounded like a lot of fun when they were younger. They were all completely open to the experience. On the second trip while they were in so much more comfort and luxury they found more things wrong than they found things right with the trip, the people around them, etc.
I think I am the same, when I was younger I didn't have a lot of comfort in my life compared to now. I have a lot of security and comfort. I used to just do things and just hang out with friends, now everything is a production and not really as open as the days of my youth, where there was no expectation no production.
Post a Comment