Thursday, June 21, 2007

quilt

When I was a little girl my grandmother made me a quilt. I slept under that quilt until I got married at the age of 31. I still have it all wrapped up and preserved, the quilt is very close to my heart. As a young girl I would go and stay with my grandma for weekends every once in awhile. She taught me to crochet, sew, knit, make homemade pasta, garden, etc. The only thing that I can remember is how to crochet. I mentioned to my grandma on a phone conversation that I had recently taken a quilting class. Grandma used to teach quilting classes. I was very excited to be learning something that makes me feel close to my grandma. She is so smart and crafty. So grandma sent to me in the mail all the things necessary to make a quilt for Lily just like the one I had as a little girl. It is a quilt with embroidered little girls. Anyways I will post pictures of it if I think about it. I am very excited to be starting this project but also very nervous.

10 comments:

Lorelei said...

Good luck! What a fun-sounding project.

meno said...

I love to embroider, but the machine sewing, not so much.

Have fun.

laura capello said...

woo hoo! woo hoo! pictures! pictures!

sounds like fun!

Dixie said...

There's something about knowing how to do a craft - quilting, sewing, knitting, etc. - that somehow allows you to hold back time. You're doing something that's been done for hundreds of years and you're giving value to hand made items.

I'm so glad you're taking these quilting classes. It'll release even more creativity within you.

Lynn said...

I am always amazed that people have the patience to be so precise when making a quilt. I can't wait to see the pictures.

sari said...

I would love to learn to quilt but I can't seem to finish the other things I'm always doing first!

I'm tagging you for something tomorrow!

Onemargaret said...

This is really nice. I like your blog. Thank you for taking the time to stop by my place. I will save you as a friend. Please feel free to stop by anytime. Have a wonderful weekend.

Onemargaret said...

Sounds like you really love your grandma. I never knew mine. She died before I was born.

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

My late Great Gran taught me how to knit and crochet - Jeepers I have not done it for years - wonder if I still can - best me give it a try!!!!

Hope you have a fantabulous weekend!!!!

Sheila said...

I'm glad you are going to learn to quilt. My granny and mom both quilted and our family stays warm in the winter thanks to their beautiful work. I always thought I'd like to do quilting but haven't gotten around to it yet. We all need a creative outlet and those who quilt have that and a practical result too.