I have been trying to come up with the words for the post for awhile. Don't seem to have enough hours in the day to come up with thoughtful words. So here I am going to try to express myself off the cuff and most likely I will end up sounding like a big idiot. The thing is I am really interested in having the conversation with all of my blogging buddies, to wrap my mind around what you smart people think.
When I found out that Paris Hilton was going to have to go to jail, I have to admit I thought it was great. She has come to epitomize all the things that bug me about America, the entitlement, the celeb worship, the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer, the newsworthiness of Paris VS politics. It all really bugs me and taking her down a peg or two seemed like a great idea. Now I am not so sure. She is a young woman. Is she personally responsible for all the ails of America?
When I was that age if someone wanted to pay me 100k to go to a party, I know I would have taken the money gladly. And I am so grateful that all my thoughts and mistakes from my twenties have not been put out there for the whole world to laugh about. Yikes would I be embarrassed. Who wouldn't be?
Everyday on TV I see a lot of men, gleefully cheering about the suffering of Paris, and it is really making me feel icky. It is like the beheading of Marie Antoinette. What do you all think? Is she a scapegoat for a all the things wrong with America? Or is she an evil bitch who deserves what she gets?
Book Club
We are waiting on a couple of people, including me, to have our discussion about Last Girls. At the end of Last Girls there are many discussion questions right there in the book.
Do we want to discuss all the questions? I kinda do, but I love discussions and I understand that might be too much.
Or do we want to each of us pick our favorite question or two?
Are there any volunteers on hosting the July book club discussion of The Memory Keeper's Daughter? I am happy to continue hosting the book club here, but perfectly happy to pass the duties around.
I want to nominate the next Harry Potter book for our August read, it comes out at the end of July. Are there any other suggestions for the August book?
4 comments:
so, the whole paris thing: what i wanted from that was equal punishment for what she's done. i'm tired of celebrities getting off easy. and even now, when her friends and family go to visit her they get to cut in front of the line, in front of people who have been waiting over two hours. that bothers me.
but it also bothers me that she received a more harsh sentence than what the "average" american receives.
as for bookclub. um, i'm lame: i haven't read ANY of the harry potter books. so, um, would i still "get" it?
as for the hosting, i'm fine trying to host but i like how you're doing it way more than i could. because i'm a lazy ass. ;-)
I am on pg. 255 in the book. I am getting into it a little more... I would be happy to host The Memory Keeper's Daughter one next month, if you give me tips on how to! :)
Re: Paris
I personally think she got what she deserved. It makes me sick to see rich/beautiful people get away with crap "normal" people don't. "Having a nervous break-down" my ass. What the hell did you think it would be, a day at the frickin' spa????? I'm glad she's back in jail, and I hope this turns her life around.
I personally could do without ever hearing another word on any of these people:
Paris
Britney
Brad/Angelina/Jennifer
Lindsey
Nicole
I think that people in general pay WAY too much attention to what these people are doing. WHO CARES? Honestly.
I think Paris Hilton needs a new family (aka a mother who actually is a mother), a good psychiatrist and a good snap in the bum to get her act together. I don't cheer her jail sentence, but I think that if she's supposed to be in jail, she should't get out sooner because of who she is (certainly not because of what she does, because I can't figure out that she's done anything other than "be famous").
The end.
I would like to host it, but no one will come...so good luck to the next person.
Post a Comment